Thursday, January 26, 2012

"Toys, toys and more toys"

Have you ever felt like toys are taking over your home? Well, that's what happened to me...an overwhelming abundance of toys all over the living room. It seemed like every night after Harper went to bed my husband Brent and I spent a good 20 minutes trying to organize her toys. Our problem is the fact that we do not have a separate playroom where we can just shut the door and hide the mess, our living room is her play area and at the end of the day no matter how hard we tried to organize, it still looked like a huge messy pile!

Finally, after all the holiday decor was put away we decided that we were going to create Harper a small play area in our living room where we originally had a breakfast nook table. As I started researching different types of children's shelving units, I began to realize I was not going to find what I was looking for without breaking the budget. I was looking for something that was dark wood, sturdy, and had both a bookshelf and cubby pockets. Everything I found on the web was either way to expensive or just tacky looking! So, I decided we were just going to have to make one ourselves, and when I say "ourselves" I mean my wonderful-handy husband Brent. As usual he was up for the challenge of another one of my many DIY projects!

We went to Home Depot and bought some durable wood and stain, and off he went building my vision! It took him one full day to complete the project and for around $100 we now have a great piece of furniture. I helped complete the project by purchasing some organizing bins at Target for the cubby portion of the shelves. Harper now has an area of her own where she can read her books, it is like her very own minnie living room. Brent and I have our adult space back, and we are now able to relax after she goes to bed without having to stare at the clutter.


No comments:

Post a Comment